Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Ok to be an over-grown kid?


Well, I am not too sure of the answer. Lets try and come to a conclusion together, may be at the end of this blog!

First of all let me tell you, I am a married lady with an 8-year-old school going son.

By profession, I am an Engineer. Was earlier in the typical "IT rat-race" rose up the ladder to be Project Manager in an IT firm. Hated the ever-extended official timings eating up personal time and space, quit, and is now working as a Lecturer in an Engineering college and is currently pursuing my research studies.

Why did I have to blabber about myself so much?

Wanted to make you tune into my thought frequency for this blog. Hmm... where do I begin? Ok, what kind of books do you expect me to enjoy reading?

Yes, I confess I am a voracious reader and read fiction, novel and philosophy like any other person of my age. But that's not the point.

Would you be able to digest if I tell you that I love the "Noddy" stories of Enid Blyton? Also her dolls stories about Golliwog doll and the baby stories written by Dr.Suez?

Just yesterday, my son and me were fighting to read "Five Run Away Together"!




I love playing Bay-Blade, Pokemon, and Spiderman board games with my son. I love helping him with all the activity homework he brings from school. Recently he had to draw a dwarf, colour it and stick it in his class workbook. When my son drew the dwarf it seemed to have Pinocchio’s nose and Dracula-like fingers! I really enjoyed spinning stories with my son, as to why our dwarf could be like this in DwarfLand. May be he was a perpetual liar, maybe he had put nail accessories on his fingers to appear savvy as Dracula nails were the "in thing" in Dwarf Land...Our imaginations kept soaring. We both had a nice couple of hours of fun and laughter.


When my husband gets a bar of Kit-Kat or a packet of Cheetos, for my son, we again fight over it, as both my kiddo and me want these! When a movie such as 'Superman Returns' or 'Krrish' releases, more than my kid, I make plans for all of us to see the movie!

We enjoy playing imaginative games like 'Hercules and Ghost' where the treasure to be fetched could be a powder tin!

I also love guffawing at the silliest sardar joke SMS that I get. I really enjoy interacting with my students, listening to their lamenting about a tough question paper, their fears about what kind of viva questions will be asked, their complaints about various things in life--parents, teachers, friends, the class trip they went for, the funny incidents etc. Feel overjoyed when a friend forwards an e-mail or SMS. Would feel happy and contended today, as I was able to create a blog of this question I was having in my mind for a long time!

Is this normal? I tried introspecting to find out. Realized that I feel I am re-living my lost childhood when I do these kiddish things.

Does every mother go through this phase? Asked my colleagues at work. Got mixed reactions as some don't have time to "enjoy" their child's homework as they treat it as another "irritating" job that has to be done. Some find me strange for wanting to read Famous Five at my age and perceive me as a creature they are better away from because my tastes are "immature".

The most common reaction is they don't "have time" to think of "enjoying kiddish things" because they are caught up with their daily routine jobs!

Do we really have to set aside time to enjoy life? Can't we take pleasure in the small small daily things we do and still find enjoyment?

What do you think of me? Don't you think I am an over-grown kid? Chronologically mature but kiddish mentally?

Or do you think am I slightly "off tangent" / "wacky"?

Or does most of you go through these emotions but like my friends mentioned above never had the time to "realize", "think" that you too enjoy being an over-grown kid?

Looking forward to your comments on my blog. I am really interested in knowing -- "Is it ok to be an over-grown kid”?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i (a six year old's mom) recently bought Malory Towers 'cos my niece is into Enid Blytons...but I enjoyed reading it..I havent given it to my niece yet. If this will answer your question.
...and yes, I enjoy bayblading w/ my son...
A question for you..do u know a Capt Haddock??!!

Friday, July 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,

intersting to read your comments as always.
try reading calvin and hobbes as well
mrinal

Sunday, July 16, 2006  
Blogger Anusree said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Anusree said...

Mam, you had commented in my blog, that my writings were philosophical and mature despite my age. I still think you are the mature one. It takes a lot of courage to be in touch with the child in you and there is nothing wrong in that. In fact, I bet your son thinks you are the coolest mom on the planet.(At least we think you are the coolest teacher.) So don't worry. To me, maturity is not just being wise, it's being wise enough to be a child!

Monday, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Mydhili Nair said...

Hey Liz!!! WOW!!!!!!Podi...Ninte oru "Anonymous". Grrrrr.......
Thank God, I went to my mail-box read your mail and then accessed my blog! Else, you'd have given me a heart-attack with that "Capt.Haddock" statement, coz U, Deepa, Shirly are the ONLY ones who use to tease me with that!
Yup! Married the same guy, da.

Another "anonymous" you may be knowing who commented below---'Mrinal', who was with us in St.Thomas.

Mrinal, that was 'Liz Varghese'. She "fished" my id and this blog from the internet!

Oops! Sorry Anushree, got carried away. Will comment on your penny of thought in a while....:-)

--Mythili

Wednesday, July 19, 2006  
Blogger Mydhili Nair said...

Hi Anushree,

Well, I was a bit behind 'Sulekha.Com' and posted a few blogs there and so didnt access this site of mine for a while. Therefore the delay in replying.

Hmmm...Interesting statement you made--"One needs to be mature to be in touch with the child inside you". I agreee with you 100%!

Really admire your ability to switch moods in your writing too.

However much I attempt to write some very deep, sentimental or philosophical stuff, I end up doing a 180 degree phase shift and vent out all my frustration/anger whatever in a whacky nut-case blog :-(

Whereas you said you have a nutty blog-site as well as a sober one. Cool! Shows your range in your writing thought process.

Keep it up, girl! Its a rare gift.

Actually I thank the the cosmic powers for the probability game they played on us ensuring I get to be a teacher for such an emerging bundle of talent both academic and otherwise, like you!

Punch!!! U still in this world?
:-)

Well, girl, I meant that compliment.

---Mythili

Wednesday, July 19, 2006  
Blogger Shishir M K said...

Thank you so much mam... i understood what kind of writing does a blog require... what to write and what not to write.. saying it once again please continue writing..

Tuesday, October 23, 2007  
Blogger Meghana said...

hi ma'am ..

my mum says that whenever there's a baby born in the family,everyone gets back to kiddie mode ,so what if you are still in the same mode when your son's turned 8 now,i'm sure he loves this phase,enjoy it -without guilt/apprehension/doubt !

ps: i'm glad i get to learn so much about content n everythin else just by reading your blogs n also pmk's blogs.

Friday, November 16, 2007  
Blogger Meghana said...

n yes,i would love it if you continue to give me free content training,vocab and humour classes through your blogs,come on now,that's a real good excuse to continue writing ! isn't it ? hehe

Friday, November 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home